Monday, March 21, 2011

When I falter in my walk

How difficult a day can be when I fail to do as I know I should. Today was the final day at my now past job. I was so happy that I was working a day shift so I could go to the Monday evening Bible Study that my sisters were attending. I knew our truck had issues and I even had assurance of a ride home. But it was not to be, the truck was not running right at all and would barely limp down the road. I became frustrated at it and my lost plans, suddenly I shouted out " Truck run, in the name of Jesus!"... There was no response.
I thought about this for a while and then I realized I had just revisited Moses and his complaining Israelites. I was humbled to say the least. In my frustration I more or less demanded that God fix my truck. God gave water to the Israelites, but Moses was not allowed into the promised land. He did not fix my truck. That would not have taught me anything. I soon asked forgiveness for my unruly outburst.
Luke 10: 19 says that Jesus has given us the authority "to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy, nothing will harm you." This passage means that we are given the authority to step on demons and evil spirits and I had decided that my vehicle was being attacked by one or the other. I did not think about the fact that the truck had issues and was long overdue for repairs, I just wanted to get where I had planned to go. God graciously used this illustration, (and an hour in the WalMart parking lot waiting for the truck to cool down to get us home), to show me that if I want to recieve His blessing and to call on the power of the Spirit within me, I must do it in reverence, not in my selfish desires.
Years ago I would have been angry that God was not taking care of my needs, after all I nobly wanted to go to Bible study. But the more time I spend learning how God works and how we must conduct ouselves in His presence, the more I realize that I am the one limiting the power of God. God has rules as to how He works and things in our lives that will hinder our connection to Him. During the days of Jesus' life on earth He offered up prayers and petitions with fervrent crys and tears to the one who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission. Son though He was he learned obedience from what He suffered..." Hebrews 5: 7,8. So if Christ was heard through reverent submission how then can I expect to be heard...? Through reverent submission. Learning to hear from God is a process. Prehaps one never completed, but one I must continue to pursue.
Also in pursuit of Zoe...be Blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment